Start a new topic

Prices on bags

I really wish the price was printed on the bag, especially the $10 caramel corn. The products are somewhat expensive and many times the customers don't believe that the products are the prices we tell them. If the products said the price on the bag it would clear everything up.

1 person likes this idea

Having TE put pricing on their items is not practical.  I have had this argument with others trying to explain this point.  You really think an 11-12 oz bag of Caramel Corn costs $10 or Microwave 18pack costs $25?   No.  It is the item given to the donor at that donation level, ($10 donation and you get Caramel Corn bag, $25 donation you get uWave popcorn, etc).  If your scout's sales pitch is "I'm selling Popcorn and here is how much it costs" they are doing it wrong.  The phrase "selling popcorn" is what sticks in a potential donor's head.  I have tried to instill into our scouts they are asking people to donate to Scouting and to sell themselves, and the Popcorn items are the gifts at the donation level those people are willing to help out.  Over 72% of their donation goes to scouting. That means for every $10 they donate at least $7.20 goes back to scouting and $2.80 goes to the retail cost of the popcorn.  The donor needs to understand this point and the Scout needs to explain it so they feel their $$ is going to something more than just popcorn and they are not getting ripped off.  

If 72% stays local, as we are constantly told, why isn't the price lower in general?  If the Girl Scouts can sell hundreds of thousands of boxes of cookies for ~$5 and get the same (similar return), why should the Boy Scouts have to "upsell" the donation while getting a small bag of popcorn as a reward for the donation?  If the popcorn was half the price, Boy Scouts could sell 5x times the product.  If Trail's End is charging 28% as "product cost", that's complete nonsense.  They would be losing money and would not be able sustain themselves with that overhead.  In reality, the cost of mass production is pennies on the dollar.  Be honest and up-front with the consumer.  $30 for microwave popcorn, $80 for chocolate covered candy, really?  The figures of how much is actually made nationwide is generally a shadowy figure. Lots of smoke and mirrors on total sales. The GSA is very up front - last year in excess of $700 million!!!   Even if the 72% goes back locally, that doesn't equate to 72% to the individual unit, they only get a percentage of that.  So even this doesn't pass the sniff test of justifying the term "popcorn sales", it's "donating" to the BSA with a free bag of popcorn.  Additionally, EVERYONE looks forward to GSA cookie time, nobody looks forward to popcorn time.  GSA has lots of options and flavors, BSA essentially 4, with 2 being the same thing (caramel corn and caramel corn with nuts)  and, with miscellaneous stuff on the side.  Where is the cheese corn, not the nasty white cheddar, but the "orange" cheese corn?  Ranch?  Ranch is now one of the leading flavors, about to pass nacho cheese.  

1 person likes this

The price increase to $30 minimum purchase is leaving out a LOT of parents, grandparents and others who would love to support their Scouts but can't afford to!!"

2 people like this

I agree, I think they need a new supplier.  I was just told it was $25 for a bag of caramel corn who can afford that, as it is I paid $15 for a small bag of jalapeno popcorn, popcorn is cheap!  The girl scouts can sell cookies for $5 the boy scouts can figure something out

2 people like this
Login to post a comment