If you are having issues with your Square Reader Device to take credit cards, please see below for Square's troubleshooting tips. Please note that you can always take credit cards without a Square Reader by manually entering card info during checkout.
- Make sure you’re using a supported device.
- Check that the Trail's End app has access to your device’s microphone. This access allows your device to detect the reader. Please allow all access permissions.
- Remove your device’s case, firmly plug in the reader and swipe again. Some phone cases prevent the reader from plugging in all the way.
- Update the Trail's End app.
- Delete and reinstall the app on your device.
- Temporarily disable Bluetooth from your device settings.
- Check for lint or dust in your headset jack or Lightning connector. If you find debris, pull it out or blow carefully into the jack.
- Wipe the metal connector with a cloth. Residue can collect and prevent the reader from making a proper connection.
- Check for corrosion inside your headset jack or Lightning connector. If you see a green color, that’s evidence of corrosion, and you may need to take your device in for service.
- Clear debris from the card reader slot with a card reader cleaning card or a paper towel.
The issue may also be related to the adapter you are using (if applicable). Please use the following troubleshooting tips:
- Restart the phone
- Turn off and then turn back on all permissions for the app
- Be sure you are using the most up to date version of the app